Friday, April 16, 2010

The Truth Lies in the Eye of the Beholder?

Listening to: Slip and Fall by Lomaticc, Sunny Brown, Baba Khan

I was reading Bleach (the manga) yesterday when one of the characters says something very interesting: There are no truths or lies. There are only cold, hard facts. Sure, the character who uttered these somewhat cold words was the evil manipulative demon hell bent on destroying Soul Society, but he wouldn't have become Captain if he wasn't smart now, would he?

Anyway, I was just thinking how this makes me extremely uncomfortable. My English teacher says that things that make you uncomfortable are often true, and that definitely seems to be the case with this "truth."

I think there are always different versions of the truth used by people to get what they want, but there is always going to be one fact that can only be based on actions (which is why I look favorably upon the phrase "Actions speak louder than words"). Who has access to these facts though? Certainly not Judge Judy; she is just human, and despite being a judge always has her prejudices and biases that will apply to her decision.


I'd like to think there's an omnipotent being, rather than a God, who watches and always knows. This being is an invisible layer that envelopes mankind in some sort of matter (I've always imagined it as being a sort of white gossamer cloth that might be what souls are made of, like in the Pensieve) that always knows. It's like an object in your house, like a blanket or a wall, that's always there, but it can't be seen or removed, like an itch you can't scratch. A select few are capable of touching this Thing, which grants them entrance into the world of the Known. The rest of us just barely scratch the surface of this layer of real truth, and instead just manipulate what we know to fit our needs. The very idea of anything (note that it's not a living thing) knowing and watching everything sounds sort of creepy, like Santa Claus or God. Honestly, I find comfort in knowing that everything I do and have done has not gone to waste, and won't be judged by somebody else's sense of morality or justness, like the Christian God (I prefer Hinduism maybe because of this). Maybe I just want to understand; I don't want to judge or be judged, just know. Somebody I know posted something about learning everything in books, but I think books are often just ideas. I'd love to have read even half the books in my library even, but I think the contents of books are often in the realm of the impossible, the incomprehensible, the imagined, unlike the OB. They might extend our knowledge of ideas and style and language, which is again determined through somebody else's idea of "good."


The idea of having everything in your life explained is the reason I really enjoyed "5 People You Meet in Heaven." In the story, everything in the main character's life is explained through 5 people he meets in his life. Just knowing everything, I suppose, would be quite a relief, we just have to wait, according to the author's theory. I don't believe a Heaven exists though, and God as portrayed by humans is human himself, with his own ideas of justice, fairness, good and bad, which is why I'd rather believe in paganism than Christianity; the one constant in our planet is the force of Mother Nature. Maybe it's the one that knows it all?


However, in Indiana Jones, the one person who does find out everything from aliens hidden in mayan temples has her head explode and is completely destroyed, so I don't know if the very idea of knowing everything is a plausible or viable one.

My rant's officially over, now. If I were reading this on my friend's blog, I'd probably ask myself "What does this show about her?" because that's the kind of AP Student I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment